My impression of Dear Mr. Kilmer (20/1/2019)
My impression of Dear Mr. Kilmer
This is the story of two poets who have never met except through their exchange of letters. Richard Knight is a 14-year-old student who dreams to become a poet and Mr Kilmer is a well-known poet with 'The New York Times'. He encourages Richard's poetic writing and their friendship blossoms into a strong personal bond. I see blossoming relationships in this story. I like how both Mr Kilmer and Richard grow in their desire for peace among mankind. Besides, despite the disapproval of Richard's father and elder brother, he still becomes a close family friend of the Schermers.
Richard is a compassionate and caring person. He does not like killing animals. He is deeply hurt by the anti-German feelings in his school and hometown. Next thing I received from reading this story is moral courage. I admire how Richard dares to be different. He is the only one in his family to say a firm 'no' to the killing of wildlife. Not only that, he suffers the insults of Gus with courage.
The next thing I like about this story is the patriotism. Joyce Kilmer volunteers to be on the battlefield for his country. He dies in action in France. Most Americans were willing to die for their country in World War I as it was thought that this would be the war to end all wars. Richard's brother, Roland had sacrificed his life in the Spanish-American War so Richard's father is not happy to see Gus job the army because he distrusts the motives behind wars.
Lastly, this story has taught me to be daring to do things we want to do. We can't let others' opinions to stop us from doing things that make us happy.
Comments
Post a Comment