A momentous moment in the history of Malaysia
The 14th Malaysian general election was held on 9 May 2018 to elect members of the Parliament of Malaysia. On the day itself, I was super excited even though I wasn't a voter and I couldn't wait for the night to see the results. Well, I believe all of us know we had Prime Minister who wasn't really supported by most of the people in Malaysia due to some reasons. For the first time in the nation's history, the people voted single-mindedly. Race and religion, aces up the Barisan Nasional's sleeve in previous polls, were no longer attractive propositions to the electorate. The majority of Malaysians, including most rural voters wanted change, and they got their wish.
It was not a Malay tsunami, but a Malaysian typhoon, which decimated most in its wake as it swept across the country. For once, the Chinese were not blamed. No one can ever ask, "Apa lagi Cina mau?' because the massive defeat of the Barisan couldn't have happened without the bulk of Malay and Muslim voters pushing for this historic change. As political analysts painstakingly comb through the statistics of each constituency, it's likely that rural voters joined other Malaysians in voicing their dissatisfaction.
Pakatan Harapan, the main opposition coalition in the Malaysian Parliament won. The unbridled joy, the celebrations the gloating, the taunting, and even the for heads to roll, are commonplace in any post-elections scenario. I can say I'm very lucky to be able to see this momentous change in Malaysia. Now is the time for the new government to deliver on its promises, as the new Prime Minister, Tun Mahathir has said - there is much work to be done.
It was not a Malay tsunami, but a Malaysian typhoon, which decimated most in its wake as it swept across the country. For once, the Chinese were not blamed. No one can ever ask, "Apa lagi Cina mau?' because the massive defeat of the Barisan couldn't have happened without the bulk of Malay and Muslim voters pushing for this historic change. As political analysts painstakingly comb through the statistics of each constituency, it's likely that rural voters joined other Malaysians in voicing their dissatisfaction.
Pakatan Harapan, the main opposition coalition in the Malaysian Parliament won. The unbridled joy, the celebrations the gloating, the taunting, and even the for heads to roll, are commonplace in any post-elections scenario. I can say I'm very lucky to be able to see this momentous change in Malaysia. Now is the time for the new government to deliver on its promises, as the new Prime Minister, Tun Mahathir has said - there is much work to be done.
Comments
Post a Comment